Note: We had some audio issues with this first session so we rebooted the adventure and recorded it again over here.
Captain’s Log: Stardate 1266.01
“We’ve received a message from the civilian exploration starship Ventura that their long-range shuttlecraft called the Susquehanna has gone missing in the Carina Nebula, deep within the Taurus Reach. The Susquehanna was investigating an unusual alien signal that originated from the nebula when all contact was lost. We have been ordered to enter the nebula, find the shuttle, and determine the origin and cause of the alien signal. Starfleet has also advised that Romulan and Tholian ships have been sighted in the region, so we should exercise caution since they may well have detected the alien signal as well.”
- Lieutenant Bennett (the Human Chief Medical Officer, played by Bailey)
- Lieutenant Commander Abossas (the Andorian Chief Of Security, played by Mason)
- Ensign Sevek (the Vulcan Science Officer, played by Jeff M.)
- Captain Gregory Konstans (NPC)
Captain Konstans summons an away team aboard the U.S.S. Darius, a single-nacelle, Saladin class starship patrolling the Taurus Reach. He dispatches a team of 3 to beam down to a Class M planet recently discovered nested in the Carina Nebula. The Darius had traced the ion trail of the lost shuttle Susquehanna to this location. Heavy electrical interference in the atmosphere is making reads on the planet difficult, but a clearing in the perpetual storms allows the away team to beam down.
Planetside, the away team beamed down and were almost immediately attacked by 3 Romulans. Due to their superior training and tactics, the Starfleet officers manage to stun the Romulans.
A tricorder scan of the area indicates three notable areas of interest.
- Two kilometers to the North are trace signs of civilian Combadges, a signal consistent with the crew of the lost Susquehanna.
- Three kilometers to the Southeast, a trail of smoke (barely visible in the red, dim horizon) snakes up into the sky.
- Six kilometers to the Southwest the tricorder picks up a chirping signal consistent with the signature of the alien signal the Ventura was seeking when it dispatched the shuttle the Susquehanna to investigate.
The episode ends with the away team communicating with Captain Konstans about their findings and discussing next steps before an incoming magnetic storm again disrupts communications.
- Does momentum go away at the end of a scene? (We seem to recall it does in Conan)
- How many questions does Momentum grant you? (With a successful roll and 2 momentum earned and spent, is that 2 questions, or 3?)
- GM picking who goes first (Need to read the full rules on initiative)
- Turn order and cost to retain the initiative (Bailey’s character had a special ability but we had questions on how it exactly worked)
- General questions on how Advantage and Complications work and what mechanically it means to create a problem (Quickstart rules are unclear on this)
- What type of ‘Ice pick’ does the Andorian have? (Answered: It’s a climbers ice pick).