Let’s tighten up our groups understanding of D&D rules. Here’s a list of topics to discuss.
Rules Questions (Stan)
- Xanathar’s Page 5 has a 10 Rules to Remember area
- Generally how to implement passive perception vs. “active” perception, and how that plays out with groups (e.g. “surprise” rounds when PCs surprise NPCs, and vice versa).
- When you have reinforcements join AFTER the first combat round, how/when do you add them in the initiative order?
- There was some difference between Ability Checks, Saving Throws, and (a third thing I forget), and how natural 1s and natural 20s play out between these three types of dice rolls.
- General Stealth & Hiding
- Hide / Stealth / Sneak Attack
- Group Stealth (50% of group succeed?)
- Bonus Actions
- Calc for Perc. & Pass Perc.
- Tracking skills
Rules Answers (Jeff)
- Spells – if you cast any spell as a bonus action you can only cast a cantrip for the rest of the round
- Battle Master Attacks – can only use maneuver dice 1/attack action. This caught me last night as on my final attack action I used 1/attack. Subtle difference but means that if someone gets 3 attacks per attack action then they can only use 1 die per turn. The attacks that knocked the ladies off their dinosaurs was fine as I used action surge so that was 2 attack actions.
- Hide – this is an opposed check (Stealth vs Perception or special circumstances allow vs Passive Perception) and specifically spells out that you cannot hide from a creature that can see you.