Interesting news from a recent interview with Francesco Nepitello, author of The One Ring (TOR) and indirectly of it’s 5e derivative, Adventures in Middle-earth (AiME). As way of background, the RPG company Free League recently acquired the license for TOR after Cubicle 7 let the license expire. People have wondered about what they will do with the Middle-earth RPG license. Here’s a video with detailed news:
- New locations will include Eriador, Tharbad, the Grey Havens, and Rivendell
- All new cultures
- Conversion guides for the existing 6 cultures (eventually a supplemental book that has all the cultures in one volume)
- Shire (starter set)
- TOR will come first, AiME second
- Largely backward compatible (streamlining Journey rules for example)
- Coming “early next year”
- EDIT: The new default year is 2960 (source)
To get in on the upcoming beta, keep an eye on the Free League forum.
In other news, Andreas Lundström has a “Riddles in the Dark” TOR podcast coming up but already have two extended interviews with game designer Francesco Nepitello.